Sunday, December 9, 2012

Iris: more HTML5 Canvas pixel manipulation fun

After I wrote the plasma effect quite some time ago, I wanted to give it a shot at improving the performance of such a pixel manipulation demo. And so I wrote a similar demo called Iris that will generate a random sequence of patterns and effects each time you run it.




The result is quite impressive when running in Chrome on my Ubuntu laptop with full HD resolution, where I get 60 FPS consistently. Unfortunately, Firefox achieves only just above 30 FPS, while Opera gets just under 30 FPS. Enjoy the Iris live demo yourself.


3 comments:

  1. I sure have another hardware. On Firefox I have a constant 30 fps, looks like it's a limit set by Firefox.
    On Desktop you will often see this thing where it is set to go to max 30 fps, you have to manually disable it.
    On Ubuntu try to run Firefox like this from the terminal:
    "vblank_mode=0 firefox"(I didn't try it but it should work).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firefox 2015 on Ubuntu 1680x1050px screen: 63 fps! :D

    ReplyDelete